| Sheila Howell
Collectible English Derby porcelain is found in dinnerware, figurines and home accessories such as vases and candlesticks.
Quality porcelain has been manufactured at three factories in the city of Derby, England, since the mid-18th century - Nottingham Road, King Street and Omaston Road factories. The exact start and ownership of Derby porcelain manufacturing is not documented and is based on stamped pieces and porcelain histories. The oldest remaining pieces in the late 19th century bore only the words Darby and Darbishire and the years 1751-2-3 as proof of place and year of manufacture.
The production of porcelain in Derby predates the works of master William Duesbury, appointed Derby China Manufacturers to His Majesty in a Royal Warrant from King George III, dated 28th March 1775, who started in 1756 when he joined porcelain producers Andrew Plance and John Heath to create the Nottingham Road factory, which later became Royal Crown Derby Porcelain.
"The figures produced by the three factories in the Derby area are among the most collectible pieces of ornamental British porcelain."
What to Look for When Buying Derby Porcelain
Which porcelain factory created the porcelain piece?
- The Derby Mark
Is the mark legible and identifiable?
When was the piece manufactured?
Is the piece in perfect, good or worn condition?
Was the piece mass manufactured or is it a limited production?
Many Derby porcelain collectors enjoy visiting the Royal Crown Derby Museum for a tour of the museum, factory, tea room and gift shop.
Royal Crown Derby
194 Osmaston Road
www.royalcrownderby.co.uk (featured image: Royal Crown Derby Museum)
An antique English Derby porcelain vase in rich blue and gold colors. This vase depicts a landscape panel with cliffs and a river on a cobalt and gilt body. It has a wide round opening with a short neck and double scrolling handles applied at the shoulders of the vase. The bowl rests on a square pedestal base that is hand marked to the underside “View From Wales”, and has the hand painted manufactures mark of a crown above crossed batons and the letter “D” in red. The marking indicates this English piece was produced at the Nottingham Road Derby porcelain factory from 1806-1825. The Nottingham Road factory later became the Royal Crown Derby.
H 9" W 7" D 3"